Rockfish Mexican Stew
Try our Mexican-inspired fish stew for a satisfying dinner any time of year. It’s especially delicious on crisp fall evenings! Simple and filling, it has a smoky flavor from the Ancho chili powder.
Total cook time
- 4-6 ounce rockfish fillets (cut into 1 inch pieces)
- 2-15 ounce cans fire roasted tomatoes
- 2 cups Yukon Gold potatoes (1/2" pieces and 1 cup potato cooking water)
- 1 ear fresh corn (kernels removed)
- 1 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion (diced)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ancho Chile powder
- 1 teaspoon salt (divided)
- 1/2 lime (zest and juice)
In a 2-quart pan, cover potatoes with water and add salt. Bring to a boil and cook potatoes about 8 minutes until soft. Reserve 1 cup of the potato cooking water. Drain remaining liquid from potatoes and set aside.
Heat olive oil over medium-high heat, add onion and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and thyme. Sauté for 3 minutes. Add garlic and ancho powder and sauté for an additional minute.
Reduce heat to medium, add tomatoes and simmer for 4-5 minutes. Stir in potatoes and reserved potato water.
Add fish and corn and continue cooking for 3-4 minutes. Stir in lime juice and zest. Serve.
All recipe ingredients should be cooked to a safe internal temperature according to USDA guidelines. After preparing a recipe, please store any leftovers in the refrigerator.