- Meatloaf:1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Topping:1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- Heat oven to 350°F. Measure 1/4 cup tomato sauce; combine with topping ingredients. Set aside.
- Combine remaining tomato sauce with remaining meatloaf ingredients in large bowl, mixing lightly but thoroughly.
- Shape beef mixture into 8 x 4-1/2-inch loaf on rack in broiler pan. Spread topping over meatloaf. Bake in 350°F oven 1 hour to medium (160°F) doneness, until not pink in center and juices show no pink color.
- Let stand 10 minutes before cutting. Cut into slices.
Cook's Tips: To make soft bread crumbs, place torn bread in food processor or blender container. Cover; process, pulsing on and off, to form fine crumbs. One and one-half slices make about 1 cup crumbs. To save time and for a different presentation, beef mixture may be divided evenly and shaped into three 1-1/2-inch thick loaves. Place on rack in broiler pan; spread topping evenly over loaves. Bake in 350°F oven 40 to 45 minutes to medium (160°F) doneness, until not pink in center and juices show no pink color.
Note: Due to the natural nitrate content of certain ingredients often used in meatloaf, such as onions, celery and bell peppers, meatloaf may remain pink even when a 160°F internal temperature has been reached. Always check the internal temperature using a meat thermometer or instant-read thermometer to be certain it reaches 160°F. Four-Pepper Meatloaf Variation: Prepare meatloaf as above, adding 1/3 cup finely chopped green bell pepper, 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper and 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper to ground beef mixture. Nutritional information per serving: 297 calories; 23 g protein; 12 g carbohydrate; 17 g fat; 3.0 mg iron; 506 mg sodium; 112 mg cholesterol. Picadillo-Style Meatloaf Variation: Prepare meatloaf as above, omitting thyme and adding 1/3 cup finely chopped green bell pepper, 1/4 cup raisins, 1 teaspoon ground cumin and 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves, crushed, to ground beef mixture. Nutritional information per serving: 316 calories; 23 g protein; 17 g carbohydrate; 17 g fat; 3.0 mg iron; 508 mg sodium; 112 mg cholesterol.
Copyright © 2017 Healthnotes, Inc. All rights reserved. www.healthnotes.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires December 2017.