Open-Face Italian Beef Sandwiches
Open-face sandwiches like this one with herbed beef, bell pepper rings and melty cheese allow you to admire the ingredients before digging in.
Total cook time
- ¼ cup white-wine vinegar or cider vinegar,
- 1 teaspoon sugar,
- ½ teaspoon salt,
- ½ teaspoon black pepper,
- 1 cup baby or regular bell pepper, seeded and sliced into rings,
- 1 17-ounce refrigerated cooked herb-rubbed Italian-style beef roast au jus,
- 4 1-ounce slices provolone cheese,
- 2 square whole-grain ciabatta rolls or whole-grain buns,
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh Italian (flat-leaf) parsley, , plus more for garnish
Preheat broiler. In a large, shallow, microwave-safe bowl, combine vinegar, sugar, salt and black pepper. Stir in pepper slices. Add undrained beef. Microwave, covered, on High for 4 minutes. Using a fork, coarsely shred the beef.
Meanwhile, split rolls. Place rolls, cut-sides up, on a baking sheet. Broil 3 to 4 inches from the heat for 1 minute or until bread is lightly toasted. Top cut sides with a slice of cheese. Broil 1 to 2 minutes more or until the cheese is melted.
Stir parsley into the meat mixture. With a slotted spoon, spoon beef mixture over toasted bread.
If desired, top with additional snipped parsley. Serve with any remaining cooking liquid.
All recipe ingredients should be cooked to a safe internal temperature according to USDA guidelines. After preparing a recipe, please store any leftovers in the refrigerator.