Better Homes & Gardens
Turkey Chipotle Chili
Chipotle chile peppers in adobo sauce add a smoky, spicy flavor to this hearty turkey chili recipe.
Total cook time
- 2 large onions, chopped (2 cups)
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped (3/4 cup)
- ½ cup frozen whole kernel corn
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped canned chipotle chile peppers in adobo sauce
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano, crushed
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 cups chopped or shredded roasted turkey breast
- 1 15-ounce can no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 15-ounce can no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1 15-ounce can no-salt-added black beans, rinsed and drained
- ¼ cup finely snipped fresh cilantro, plus more for garnish
- ¼ cup chopped green onions
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 6 tablespoons plain nonfat Greek yogurt or sour cream
In a 4-quart Dutch oven cook onions, bell pepper, corn and garlic in hot oil about 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in chile peppers and tomato paste; cook for 1 minute more.
Stir in chili powder, oregano, cumin and coriander. Stir in broth, turkey, undrained diced tomatoes, tomato sauce and black beans. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer, covered, for 20 minutes.
Stir in 1/4 cup cilantro, green onions and lime juice. Simmer, uncovered, for 2 minutes more. To serve, ladle chili into bowls. Top with a spoonful of yogurt (or sour cream). If desired, sprinkle with additional snipped cilantro.
All recipe ingredients should be cooked to a safe internal temperature according to USDA guidelines. After preparing a recipe, please store any leftovers in the refrigerator.