Better Homes & Gardens
This robust one-pot rice dish comes together in minutes—and it’s vegetarian, too!
Total cook time
- 1 14.5-ounce can Mexican-style stewed tomatoes, cut up (undrained),
- ½ cup water,
- 1 teaspoon chili powder,
- ½ cup uncooked long-grain rice,
- ¼ teaspoon salt,
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper,
- Several dash hot pepper sauce (optional),
- ¼ cup chopped pimiento-stuffed olives or chopped pitted ripe olives,
- ½ cup shredded Cheddar cheese (2 ounces),
In a medium saucepan, combine tomatoes, water, chili powder, rice, salt, pepper and, if desired, hot sauce. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for about 20 minutes or until rice is tender and most of the liquid is absorbed. Stir in olives. Sprinkle with Cheddar.
All recipe ingredients should be cooked to a safe internal temperature according to USDA guidelines. After preparing a recipe, please store any leftovers in the refrigerator.