Seared Chicken with Mango Salsa & Spaghetti Squash
A quick mango salsa gives this easy chicken dinner recipe a tropical flavor boost. A generous serving of spaghetti squash rounds out the healthy meal.
Total cook time
- 1 ripe mango, peeled and diced,
- 1 fresh jalapeño, , minced (seeded if desired)
- ½ cup finely diced red onion,
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro,
- 2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar,
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar,
- 1¼ teaspoons kosher salt, , divided
- 1 spaghetti squash (about 3 pounds), , halved lengthwise and seeded
- 2 skinless chicken breasts, , trimmed and halved
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil or canola oil, , divided
- ¼ cup sliced almonds, , toasted
Mix mango, jalapeño, onion, cilantro, vinegar, brown sugar and 3/4 teaspoon salt in a small bowl. Set aside.
Place squash cut-side down in a microwave-safe dish. Add 2 tablespoons water. Microwave, uncovered, on High, until the squash is tender, 10 to 14 minutes.
Pound chicken with the smooth side of a meat mallet until about 1/2 inch thick. Sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt.
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the chicken until an instant-read thermometer registers 165°F when inserted into the thickest part, 3 to 5 minutes per side.
When the squash is done, use a fork to scrape it from the shell into a medium bowl. Toss with the remaining 1 tablespoon oil and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Serve the squash with the chicken, topped with almonds and the mango salsa.
All recipe ingredients should be cooked to a safe internal temperature according to USDA guidelines. After preparing a recipe, please store any leftovers in the refrigerator.