Autumn Vegetable and Gnocchi Soup
The flavors and seasonal produce of fall blend perfectly to make this soup an instant family favorite.
Total cook time
- 1 cup cubed butternut or acorn squash
- 2 large carrots, cut in rounds
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 parsnip, cubed
- 1 medium leek, sliced
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 sweet yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cups Tuscan Kale, torn
- 2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 - 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 - 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- One 8 ounce can tomato sauce
- One 15 ounce can diced tomatoes with juice
- One 15 ounce can cannellini or great northern beans, drained
- One package 16 ounce regular gnocchi
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in large pot over medium heat. Sauté garlic and onion until translucent. Remove from and set aside. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil to the large pot and sauté squash, carrots, parsnip, leek, and celery over medium heat for 3-5 minutes.
Add garlic and onion back into pot with sautéed vegetables. Add Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper. Pour in the broth, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes and beans into the vegetable mixture.
Simmer over medium heat until vegetables are fork-tender (approximately 15 minutes)
While soup base is simmering, prepare gnocchi according to directions. Once cooked, drain, and set aside.
Reduce soup heat to low, stir in kale.
Remove soup from heat. Stir in gnocchi and mix until well combined.
Step 7 :: Helpful Hints
Serve with fresh basil, shaving of fresh parmesan on top and side of rustic bread.
All recipe ingredients should be cooked to a safe internal temperature according to USDA guidelines. After preparing a recipe, please store any leftovers in the refrigerator.