Jennifer Mifflin

Nov 18th, 2014

ITASCA, IL (November 18, 2014) Jewel-Osco – Chicagoland’s leading grocery retailer – is excited to offer customers Apple Pay: an easy, secure and private way to pay in-store with an iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus and Apple Watch, upon availability.

Grocery shopping has evolved, and shoppers expect to utilize smart technology wherever possible from online coupons to social media to payment options. Jewel-Osco recently upgraded all its register pin pads, which are now compatible with Apple Pay.

“Having the Apple Pay option throughout our 185 stores provides another layer of convenience our customers are seeking,” said Mike Withers, President of Jewel-Osco. “We take pride in being in-step with our customers and poised to anticipate their needs.”

Security and privacy is at the core of Apple Pay. When you add a credit or debit card with Apple Pay, the actual card numbers are neither stored on the device nor on Apple servers. Instead, a unique Device Account Number is assigned, encrypted and securely stored in the Secure Element on your device. Each transaction is authorized with a one-time unique dynamic security code, instead of using the security code from the back of your card.

For more information on Apple Pay, visit: http://www.apple.com/apple-pay/.

50 Responses to Apple Pay Now Available to Jewel-Osco’s Customers Offers Easy, Secure & Private Payment Option

1. Brianbobcat 18/12/2014 at 7:26 pm

How do I use Apple Pay at Jewel? I’ve tried to use my Chase card, which incorporates the same NFC technology on the new pin pads, and can’t. Where do I tap my card or iPhone at Jewel? Do I select something other than “electronic payment” when I have the screen with the payment options?

• Customer Care 18/12/2014 at 10:03 pm

Hello Brainbobcat. Thanks for reaching out to us about Apple Pay. Just hold your iPhone near the contactless reader with your finger on the touch ID. A subtle vibration and beep will let you know your payment information was successfully sent. Please visit https://www.apple.com/apple-pay for further information. We hope this information was helpful.

2. Vic 23/01/2015 at 4:55 pm

There is no contactless reader on the credit card reader at my local Jewell in Grayslake, IL.
    as there is other stores like Macys and Walgreens. How do I use Apple Pay then.
    I have just registered on the Jewell website.

• Customer Care 23/01/2015 at 9:13 pm

Hey Vic, thanks for reaching out to us. We have checked with your local Jewel store, and they have confirmed that you can use Apple Pay there, you just have to scan your phone by the Credit card reader. We hope this info helps!

3. Kenny Wickstrom 07/04/2015 at 3:10 pm

What about Google Wallet? It is accepted as well? Like Vic, the Gurnee, IL, store doesn’t have any indication on their readers they’d accept contactless payments.

4. Juan Pellegrini 06/08/2015 at 5:06 pm

I asked the cashiers at the Jewel in Oak Forest, IL, and they told me no.

• Customer Care 08/08/2015 at 5:00 pm

Hi Juan, thanks for letting us know. We’ll get this to the Store Director to address training needs. Next time you’re in the store, we encourage you to try it.

5. Pam B 25/09/2015 at 9:39 pm

The Jewel Osco in Franklin Park said they are not set up for Apple Pay. Is this correct? Is the Jewel Osco in Elmhurst set up for Apple Pay?

• Customer Care 26/09/2015 at 4:00 pm

We were able to confirm that the Franklin Park location is not set up for Apple Pay, Pam. However, either location in Elmhurst is able to accept Apply Pay using your phone. Have a great day!

6. Brian 28/09/2015 at 5:31 pm

I frequent 3 different Jewel-Osco stores; St. Charles, Elburn, and South Elgin. Can you confirm which of these accepts Apple Pay?

• Customer Care 29/09/2015 at 1:14 am

Hi Brian, both of the St. Charles locations and the South Elgin store do accept Apple Pay, but the store in Elburn, Il currently does not. Have a great day!

7. David 05/10/2015 at 1:16 am

Can you confirm which Schaumburg and Hoffman Estates Jewel locations accept Apple Pay?

• Customer Care 05/10/2015 at 10:01 pm

Hi David, both of the Hoffman Estates locations and all of the Schaumburg locations accept Apply Pay. Try it out the next time you stop by!

8. Andy 29/10/2015 at 11:35 pm

Can you let me know if the location in Naperville (OgdenAve) accepts Apple Pay? If not which one is the closets that does?

• Customer Support 01/11/2015 at 6:17 pm

Hi, Andy! We have two locations on Ogden in Naperville and they both accept Apple Pay. Hope this helps! -Julio

9. Andy 30/10/2015 at 7:19 pm

Is there any Jewel in Naperville (or close) that accepts Apple Pay?

10. Andy 19/11/2015 at 6:02 pm

So the one on 127 east Ogden does not have contactless payment just the old payment terminal. How do I use Apple pay then there?

• Customer Support 22/11/2015 at 10:37 pm

Hello, Andy! We have contacted the store and they informed us that they accept Apple Pay. If you have any concerns, please speak with the Store Director. Thank you for your time. -Julio

11. David 12/12/2015 at 10:49 pm

I have been using Apple Pay at the Schaumburg Jewel for several months now but today I couldn’t because the cashier told me he needed the 3 digit code off the back of the card to put through any transaction over $100. Given that Apple Pay doesn’t have a CVV how are customers supposed to use Apple Pay? Has Jewel stopped supporting Apple Pay?

• Customer Support 13/12/2015 at 8:57 pm

Thank you for the feedback, David. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. We have forwarded your concerns to our Retail Operations Department for further review on this matter. Thank you for your time. -Julio

12. Scott 13/12/2015 at 12:52 am

I just experienced the same issue reported by David, but at the Woodridge store. The cashier asked for the code off the back of the card, which didn’t work. This is just the latest problem I’ve experienced over the past year in trying to use Apple Pay in my weekly visits to this store — it’s hit or miss as to whether it’s going to work on a given day. (And yet Apple Pay has worked flawlessly for me at other merchants.) Please, Jewel, either get your systems working, or just call off the frustrating Apple Pay experiment. Thank you.

• Customer Support 13/12/2015 at 9:34 pm

Thank you for bringing this to our attention, Scott. We understand your expectations as a customer and apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. We’ve shared your concerns with our Retail Operations Department for further consideration. -Julio

13. David Madison 23/12/2015 at 4:37 am

I have been using Apple Pay for months, with a credit card and a debit card, and from different issuing banks. I had no problems up until about 2 weeks ago, and I have had 2 problems. The first problem is that it seemed that Jewel was not able to handle a transaction greater than $250. So, I had to do use Apple Pay twice. I was given a line “our system is offline”. Since then, however, I am unable to use Apple Pay at all, and keep being told that I need to enter in the last 4 digits of the credit card or the security code from the back. Of course, none of this works, since Apple Pay exist precisely to NOT need this info. I, of course, have zero issues using Apple Pay anywhere else that accepts it. This is a Wilmette based Jewel-Osco.

Please get your systems working, or I will find a different grocer. Yes, it is that important to me since I know you CAN support it, you are simply deciding NOT to support it anymore.

• Customer Support 28/12/2015 at 11:09 pm

David, the new process for Apple Pay is part of a credit card protection security feature implemented until our chip readers are installed. At this current time, we cannot isolate Apple Pay from regular credit card purchases. We ask for our Apple Pay users to please be understanding and patient with us while we are doing our very best to protect our customers at all costs.

We’ll be sure to share your comments with our Marketing Department regarding the date format used on the website. Have a great day! –Julio

14. David Madison 23/12/2015 at 4:40 am

And, on a slightly less important note, since I will likely not visit this site much. You really need to change the date format for your comments. DD/MM/YYYY (day, month, year) is typically a european-styled date, and since Jewel-Osco is a US-based country, you should format your dates in such a manner as the vast majority of the population is accustomed to using.

15. Drew 23/12/2015 at 2:38 pm

I am experiencing the same problem as Dave and Scott at the Clarendon Hills Jewel. I have reached out to Apple and Discover about the issue and they are unaware of the need for a code with Apple Pay. The store manager did have a printout of instructions on how to access the code on Apple Pay, but that did not work. The information the the printout was out of date as it referred to Apple Passbook, which has been renamed Apple Wallet. This has been a frustrating experience, especially since Apple Pay used to work in your stores.

• Customer Support 28/12/2015 at 11:10 pm

Drew, the new process for Apple Pay is part of a credit card protection security feature implemented until our chip readers are installed. At this current time, we cannot isolate Apple Pay from regular credit card purchases. We ask for our Apple Pay users to please be understanding and patient with us while we are doing our very best to protect our customers at all costs. -Julio

16. Greg 25/12/2015 at 12:11 am

When I try to use Apple Pay at Jewel and the bill is over $50 they ask for the last four digits of the credit card. When I give it to them they say it does not match. This has happened to me at multiple Jewels and using different cards

• Customer Support 28/12/2015 at 11:19 pm

Greg, the new process for Apple Pay is part of a credit card protection security feature implemented until our chip readers are installed. At this current time, we cannot isolate Apple Pay from regular credit card purchases. We ask for our Apple Pay users to please be understanding and patient with us while we are doing our very best to protect our customers at all costs. We will make our Retail Operations Department aware of the issue you are experiencing. -Julio

17. Jim 27/12/2015 at 1:47 pm

I use Apple Pay a lot and have used it at Jewel mainly in Oswego(Orchard rd) without a problem until the past month or so where they are asking for the code that is in the phone for any purchases over $50 for security. My fingerprint on my iPhone 6s plus and 4 digit code I still have to enter is much more secure. I called the 800 number to complain and I am also posting here.

Jewel needs to change this practice. Meijer store accepts apple pay at register and at fuel pumps with no codes needed. Actually no body other than Jewel has ever asked for the code. So please pass this along to stop this practice. Thank You!

• Customer Support 28/12/2015 at 11:21 pm

Jim, the new process for Apple Pay is part of a credit card protection security feature implemented until our chip readers are installed. At this current time, we cannot isolate Apple Pay from regular credit card purchases. We ask for our Apple Pay users to please be understanding and patient with us while we are doing our very best to protect our customers at all costs. -Julio

18. Brianbobcat 02/01/2016 at 4:40 pm

Jim above is absolutely correct. I purchased $98 worth of groceries on 1/2/16, and the payment process of checkout took over 5 minutes and ended with needed to swipe a regular credit card because of this stupid new ApplePay process. I would like to know what clueless person said that entering a 4-digit code buried somewhere within my phone is “an easy, secure and private way to pay” as your press release states. What is more secure than the finger on my hand? The clerk started flipping through a many page packet about how to find my 4-digit number, not having any idea what she was doing or talking about. When I called the store to complain to the manager, he informed me it was because of increasing fraud, and that this was to protect the customer and the store. Don’t lie to us, or treat your customers like idiots. Again I ask, how does typing in a code make the process any more secure, when to use it, you need MY HAND?! If Jewel was serious about security, you would’ve had the chip and pin readers activated back in September like merchants were required to do. I was really excited to go to Jewel and use ApplePay when it was first announced. However, now with this experience and numerous other bad experiences at Jewel, I will gladly shop elsewhere. It boggles me when a company makes it harder for a customer to give them money. The Jewel president is quoted in the above press release stating ApplePay is “another layer of convenience” but needing to open up the settings app, and dig through 27 menus to type ina code that means and does nothing, and then STILL SIGN is beyond ridiculous. If you had bothered to get your act in gear and support chip and pin like you should’ve done, then the fraud responsibility would be on the credit card company, not you. THAT should’ve been how you increased security. Instead, your clearly lazy I.T. people make the process painfully long and put the work on the customer. Until you get your act in gear, and learn what it is you’re actually talking about, I will gladly shop elsewhere, even at other local grocery stores like Mariano’s that don’t support ApplePay, because at least they don’t lie to me and tell me it’s “easy” and “convenient”. It had been that, but due to idiotic policies, you have lost a customer, at least for now.

19. Steveb 19/01/2016 at 3:22 am

I’ve had this code request happen three times and not once was the checkout person able to find the code which angered me and the people behind me. Rather than implement this stupid rule and piss a lot of people off just state that you don’t accept Apple Pay for purchases greater than $50.

• Customer Support 19/01/2016 at 11:04 pm

Steveb, we apologize for any inconvenience this has caused you. We’ll be glad to send your feedback to the Retail Operations Team for review and consideration. At which store location have you experienced this? -Rebecca, Customer Support

20. John D 21/01/2016 at 1:28 am

Apple Pay works for me. The cashiers have been extremely helpful in assisting me on my iPhone.

21. John D. 26/01/2016 at 8:28 pm

Educate yourself on Apple Pay! Why did you implement a policy for items over $50 to ask customers for their 4 digits numbers on their phone using Apple Pay?. You claim its for security and anti-theft but in reality, It goes completely against being anonymous while doing a transaction which defeats the purpose and also invades my privacy.

22. MM 29/01/2016 at 4:52 pm

ApplePay has stopped working for me at the Jewel stores. I have to give them my card and they enter the “magic four digits”—but then the system says there is a mismatch and the transaction ALWAYS FAILS. Then they have to run my card through the less-secure stripe reader.

My local store has been through two major reorganizations recently, and now this has been going on for over a month. My patience is at an end.

• Customer Support 01/02/2016 at 10:51 pm

MM, can you please tell us where you shop, so we can escalate your concern to the proper personnel? Thanks! -Rebecca, Customer Support

23. Jim K 30/01/2016 at 12:35 am

Is there any projected date for the installation of the chip readers? I think even an estimated time frame will significantly help with some people’s frustrations.

• Customer Support 01/02/2016 at 10:55 pm

Jim, we are working to update this at all of our stores, and do not have a specific time frame as of yet. We’ll send your suggestion to our Retail Operations Team for review and consideration. Thanks! -Rebecca, Customer Support

24. Adam Starkey 08/02/2016 at 8:00 pm

My issue is identical to that posted by MM above.

The card reader notifies my iPhone that ApplePay is accepted, but the clerk will then ask for the last four digits from my card (an issue in and of itself). These numbers obviously don’t match the encrypted numbers used by ApplePay, so the POS terminates the transaction, and I get to be lectured by a Jewel cashier that Jewel doesn’t support Apple Pay.

My nearest Jewel store (where I tested again just this weekend) is the Jewel-Osco at the corner of Calumet Avenue and Ridge Road, in Munster Indiana.

• Customer Support 09/02/2016 at 8:01 pm

Thank you for making us aware of this experience, Adam. We have shared your concerns with our Retail Operations Department for further review on this. We ask for our Apple Pay users to please be understanding and patient with us while we are doing our very best to protect our customers at all costs. Thank you for your time. -Julio, Customer Support

25. Jerry Z 13/02/2016 at 10:36 pm

How can you say that disabling Apple Pay is secure. It takes one line of code to secure credit cards. Add another to enable Apple Pay. Simple. Do it. You’ve made you stores less accessible and are driving your customers to Trader Joe’s which has enabled Apple Pay and not chip reading yet. Whoever told you in the tech department that it can’t be done, fire them and hire the Trader’s tech people.

26. SteveV 13/02/2016 at 10:45 pm

Apple is not easy for over $50.

Julio, you keep answering customers the same way. Apple has put a security chip in the phone and the transaction is secured by my fingerprint. I tie my credit card to my credit American express, and also get alerts on every transaction. I do understand additionally adding a signature, but any other steps is inconvenient, not easy, and unacceptable. I will stop using apple pay until you guys fix the process. I find it very easy using apple pay correctly at other vendors.

27. ChrisM 23/03/2016 at 6:57 pm

Jewel is a joke. This happens not only with Apple Pay but Android Pay as well.

Thrill to the sight of a slack-jawed, glass-eyed checkout clerk blink rapidly when presented with a mobile transaction. I was given the same line as everyone else on the thread and then condescended to by some clerk who doesn’t know jack about mobile payments. Great. Not only was it bad enough that I found myself shopping in a grocery chain that physically looks like it’s stuck in the ’90s, Jewel is apparently full of Luddites too, and they have the policies to match. Ooooh, maybe I should write a check.

Reluctantly, I pulled out my credit card—the same one tied to Android Pay—and it worked. However, I was then asked to provide ID. When I balked, I was told “Because of fraud, everyone is going to be asking for ID now.” Uh…no they’re not. In fact, it’s a violation of MasterCard and Visa’s merchant rules:
    You’d think a large chain like Jewel would know that but…nope. Same stupid rules brought to you by the dunces behind the curve on mobile tech.

Have fun in the last century, guys. In Chicago and the NW suburbs, there are plenty of other (better) options including Mariano’s, Whole Foods, Trader Joe’s, The Fresh Market and Heinen’s . In fact, I was only at Jewel to get groceries for my elderly parents; it’s close to their home and they’re used to it. I personally wouldn’t shop at Jewel on purpose.

When a new Whole Foods opens up, people in the community get excited. Here’s something nobody said, ever: “Wow, there’s a new Jewel opening up. That’s cool.”

These upscale store are going to continue to muscle in and drink your milkshake until you wise up, but have fun following in Dominick’s footsteps.

28. ChristopherM 26/03/2016 at 5:28 pm

Apparently if you post negative comments about Jewel and their outdated views on technology and security and incompetence in implementing mobile payment options, your post will be deleted. Censorship at it’s finest, but when your corporate mentality is stuck in 1984, it not surprising that you employ tactics from “1984”. Wouldn’t be surprised if this post is deleted, either.

For everyone out there experiencing problems at Jewel using Apple Pay or Android Pay, it’s true; Jewel-Osco doesn’t have a clue. The best way to make sure they get one is to deprive them of a revenue stream. There are other, better grocery options. Use them until Jewel wakes up. Or don’t. If you’re feeling nostalgic for the ’90s and want to shop at a store that’s probably tickled pink when you pay by check, go right ahead.

• Customer Support 28/03/2016 at 8:54 pm

Thank you for your feedback! Please know that this procedure is in place to protect our valued customers. All retailers have seen an increase in fraudulent activity and asking for an ID helps protect our customers’ information. We are currently in the process of having EMV upgrades to our pin pads which will allow us to accept cards with the chip. Until we are upgraded, we are asking for ID on all credit card purchases over $50 to ensure the security of our guests. The credit card companies are aware of this and support us in this effort.

We have shared your concerns with our Retail Operations Team for additional review. -Rebecca

29. Jim 31/03/2016 at 7:26 pm

Do you have any time estimate when the EMV upgrades to your pin pads will be completed?

• Customer Support 02/04/2016 at 10:29 pm

Jim, thank you for your inquiry. Our installs started this week. All stores will be complete by Memorial Day. We hope this information helps. –Felicia, Customer Support

30. ChristopherM 19/04/2016 at 7:27 pm

Thanks for the predictable responses, but:

“…asking for an ID helps protect our customers’ information.”

Uh, no it doesn’t. It’s less secure because my home address—which is not required to make a purchase at your store—is now exposed. Are your cashiers specifically trained to deal with financial security issues including credit card fraud? If so, to what extent? If not, they have no business asking for my ID and I’m under no obligation to provide it. Want to protect you and your customers from fraud? Implement chip technology and allow mobile payments which use fingerprint sensors to unlock the phone —far more secure than an ID check by a cashier.

“We are currently in the process…”
    A) You mention nothing about mobile payments, which is what this message board is about and B) most your your competitors have completed chip and mobile implementation. Why haven’t you? Do you like losing business to them?

“Until we are upgraded, we are asking for ID on all credit card purchases over $50 to ensure the security of our guests. The credit card companies are aware of this and support us in this effort.”

Really? I’d check again. I called with my the bank that issues my MC and they said a retailer can ask for an ID but I don’t have to show it. If retailer requires ID as a condition of payment, they advised me to call and report the incident. That doesn’t sound like “support”.

And again, none of your competitors— in the Chicago area, that’s: Mariano’s, Whole Foods, Trader Joe’s, Heinen’s, Target, Wal-Mart, Meijer—have ever asked. With the exception of Heinen’s, all of these retailers are national chains, just like Albertson’s. Why aren’t they following suit? I guess they don’t want to alienate customers, huh?

In the end, I’m not a regular Jewel shopper. My parents are elderly and this is their closest store—that’s the only reason I’d go into a Jewel. I could really care less what you do, however, I hate being lied to or given misinformation, particularly in the guise of pre-crafted marketing babble responses. I just want to make my point. You needn’t respond anymore.