COMPLIANCE SUMMER – 2014
Jewel-Osco is committed to providing our customers with a satisfying shopping experience that includes fast, friendly checkout. The acceptance of various types of coupons is pivotal to creating value for shoppers and sustaining market share in a highly competitive retail environment.
Legitimate coupons are easily reimbursed to the company and they allow us to pass substantial savings on to customers. Coupons that are fraudulent, or otherwise unredeemable, can be costly to the business. The following policy is written with the intention of making coupon acceptance simple and consistent for both customers and cashiers, while avoiding situations which may indicate fraud or a potential loss to the business.
Definitions and Restrictions
Manufacturer Coupons – Coupons issued by the manufacturer or vendor that are reimbursable to the merchant. The coupon verbiage contains terms of agreement, redemption instructions, a face value, an expiration date, a scan bar, and the words “manufacturer coupon.” All manufacturer coupons are considered a tender.
Store Coupons – These contain the verbiage “redeemable only at Jewel Osco” or “Store Coupon.” They are issued directly by Jewel-Osco and may be distributed electronically or via newspaper, ad inserts, direct mailer, or by other means. Store coupons typically have a barcode and will scan but they DO NOT contain redemption instructions. Unlike manufacturer coupons, store coupons are a reduction of sales, not a tender. They should not be sent into the coupon clearinghouse for redemption.
Catalina Coupons – Catalina is a third party vendor who partners with Jewel-Osco and product manufacturers to deliver manufacturer and store coupons to consumers based on purchases. Catalina coupons are printed directly at the lane and may only be used for a future purchase. They CANNOT be used for the order from which they were generated. Catalina coupons are intended for use only by the customer who receives them and not for other customers or associates. Unclaimed or unwanted Catalina coupons are to be destroyed immediately.
Internet Coupons – Coupons printed directly from an internet website and presented for redemption with a qualifying purchase. They can be either a manufacturer or store coupon. Check internet coupons closely, as they can often be fraudulent. A manufacturer coupon must have standard redemption information listed in the ‘manufacturer coupon’ section above.
The following conditions apply:
DO NOT accept internet coupons for free product offers which do not require a qualifying purchase (“Buy one get one free” is allowable)
DO NOT accept internet coupons with redemption value greater than FIVE ($5)
DO NOT accept internet coupons that lack a barcode
DO NOT accept photocopied internet coupons
DO NOT accept blurry or distorted coupons
General Acceptance Guidelines
- Coupons are intended for one time use and cannot be used more than once, except in circumstances where doubling or tripling of coupons is permitted or otherwise stated, e.g. Friends & Family multiuse store coupons.
- Cents off Coupons – will be accepted for the full face value on a “cents off” coupon provided the customer has other purchases against which to credit the additional amount. Coupon deductions may not exceed the total amount of purchase – no cash back may be given.
- A cents off coupon may be used with a B1G1Free coupon, redeemable on the purchased item.
- Free/Max Value Manufacturer Coupons – The Item Price cannot be exceeded when crediting a Free/Max Value coupon.
- ILLINOIS STORES ONLY: Customers are NOT required to pay taxes on ‘Unconditional ‘Free Manufacturer Coupons. Ring as a separate Tax Exempt order to relieve the taxes once manufacturer coupon has been scanned.
- For Manufacturer Coupons that do not specify a specific discount, such as “Buy one get one free,” or “Free up to XXX” the applied discount must be legibly written on the coupon by the cashier.
- Manufacturer coupons may be combined with store offers, store promotions & store coupons.
- One Manufacturer coupon and one Store coupon may be redeemed per item.
- Photocopied manufacturer coupons will not be accepted.
- Jewel-Osco does not accept ANY coupons issued by another retailer.
- Liquor coupon: all purchase requirements must be met by customer in order to redeem coupon (Illinois and Iowa only).
- Coupons with the verbiage “Redeemable only at” or “Redeemable at…” [Competitor name]: CANNOT be redeemed at Jewel-Osco.
- For all coupons, follow limitations on quantities or the number of purchases per customer.
- All coupons should be checked for expiration – expired coupons will not be accepted.
- Mail in Rebate offers may often resemble coupons, but cannot be accepted as an in-store discount at the time of purchase. Customers are expected to complete a rebate offer by submitting the requested information through the mail.
- Consumers pay sales tax on the full price of an item when redeeming a manufacturer coupon. EXCEPTION: Unless unconditional free in the State of Illinois.
- Coupons may be used in WIC transactions.
Service Desk Procedures:
Customers are eligible for cash back on their coupon no later than 60 days after purchase with a legible, dated receipt, and coupon expiration date valid on day of purchase. Verify coupon to items on receipt by circling item and initialing. If redeeming a coupon specific to an order amount, write amount of redeemed coupon on the bottom of the receipt near total and initial.
Adherence to Policy
All Jewel-Osco associates who operate a register must adhere to the above guidelines. All forms of coupons are expected to be handled accurately and with honesty and integrity, while treating customers with courtesy, dignity, and respect. All Associates who operate a register are responsible for providing excellent customer service; this includes, but is not limited to, accurately recording sales of items and coupons and collecting tender in full. Jewel-Osco does not accept fraudulently produced coupon offers, including those produced using a personal computer or copier.
Violation of this policy, or the guidelines listed herein, may subject associates to disciplinary action up to and including termination.