Spring Entertaining with Apples
Jewel Osco Registered Dietitians/
Apr 20th, 2017
Spring is in the air; it is time to celebrate! Why not host a celebration for your friends and family? Entertaining does not have to be hard. With the help of Stemilt apples, you can create a fun and inviting gathering that will be sure to get your guests asking for more. Here are some apple entertaining suggestions for your next party.
- Throw a wine tasting party. What pairs better than wine, cheese, and apples? Select several different varieties of cheese and apples to compliment your favorite wines.
- Create a charcuterie board party. Arrange a variety of items below on a large cutting board or platter. Mix and match to create a beautiful mix of colors and textures.
- Cured meats and sausages: Great options include prosciutto, salami, chorizo, and pepperoni.
- Cheeses: Good quality cheeses like blue, brie, cheddar and goat cheese are all good options, and they will pair especially well with the Stemilt apples.
- Fruits: Stemilt apple and pear slices create a perfect base for cheeses and meats.
- Other ideas: Toasted baguette slices and crackers, olives, marinated artichokes, nuts, and a variety of jams or honey.
- Host a BBQ. Grill your favorite meats and vegetables. Pair with Stemilt’s Quinoa Salad with Pink Lady® Apples, Avocados, and Walnuts. Serve with a fruit salad that includes apples.
- Create a “build your own pizza” party with a variety of toppings. Include traditional and non-traditional toppings like a variety of cheeses, vegetables, fruits, and lean meats. Stemilt apples pair wonderfully with brie cheese and caramelized onions to make a tasty pizza.
- Have a chocolate fondue party with cut-up fruits, like apples, bananas, pineapple and strawberries.
Visit https://www.stemilt.com/cooking-with-apples/ for more great information and tips for cooking with Stemilt apples.
The Pink Lady® Apples, Avocados, and Walnuts Salad recipe below that will surely please all your guests at your next party!
Quinoa Salad with Pink Lady® Apples, Avocados and Walnuts
Number of Servings: 8 servings
For the vinaigrette:
- 3 tbsp honey
- 1/3 cup fresh-squeezed lemon juice (approximately 3 lemons)
- 2 tbsp water
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/8 tsp kosher salt
- Ground black pepper
For the salad:
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked quinoa
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt, plus a pinch
- 2 Pink Lady® apples, diced
- 2 ripe, but firm avocados, peeled, cored and diced
- 1/2 cup toasted walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced scallions
- Ground black pepper
- To prepare the vinaigrette, puree the honey, lemon juice, water, extra virgin olive oil, salt, and pepper in a blender. Alternately, combine the ingredients in a jar with a tight-fitting lid and shake to emulsify. Set aside.
- Place the quinoa in a fine mesh strainer and place the strainer in a large bowl. Fill the bowl with cold water and soak the quinoa for 5-7 minutes. Remove the strainer with the quinoa and drain the water from the bowl. Repeat this process two more times for a total of three washes. This will remove any unpleasant aftertaste from the quinoa.
- Combine the quinoa with 3 cups of water and a pinch of salt in a medium saucepan, and bring to a boil. Reduce to low heat and cover. Simmer for 13-15 minutes, until the quinoa is cooked through.
- Move the quinoa to a large bowl and allow it to cool for 5 minutes. Add the Pink Lady® apples, avocados, walnuts, scallions, remaining salt, and pepper. Gently toss to combine.
- Briefly whisk the vinaigrette ingredients in a small bowl and then pour over the quinoa mixture, tossing to combine with the other ingredients.
Nutritionals (per serving):
Calories: 327, Total Fat: 19g, Saturated Fat: 2g, Cholesterol: 0 mg, Sodium: 124 mg, Carbohydrates: 38 g, Sugars: 12g, Fiber: 7g, Protein: 6 g
Recipe Courtesy of Stemilt.com